Primarily built to support future prototypes / projects (namely an ABS bezel for my BMW tablet install) I built this printer in a race against the birth of my second daughter. While I haven't printed much yet, it was a fun build, it prints very nice parts, and I made the deadline :P

IMG_20160730_170914778

Getting my attic shop ready to build

IMG_20160730_170955763

Sizing up the build

IMG_20160801_214523427

100s of parts organized. Seriously, these things just come as bags of unlabeled hardware and it's up to you to sort it out and identify what's what.

IMG_20160801_214533066

More sorting

IMG_20160803_211345071

Finally. On to building the support structure

IMG_20160808_210754876

Mounting the print bed along with the installation of the X, Y, and Z motors

IMG_20160809_210036854

Parts to build the extruder & hot end mount.

IMG_20160810_210931102

Assembled

IMG_20160823_220249445

Mounted

IMG_20160825_205345454

Starting enclosure construction based on an inverted ikea lack table.

IMG_20160830_212650167

Walls constructed from 3/4" MDF. Hole cut and fan mounted for controlled ventilation.

IMG_20160830_212752264

Lexan door built.

IMG_20160920_213156114

Some electronics mounted in the rear. On top of the kit electronics I added a Raspberry Pi 3 loaded with octoprint and a relay board to control lights, fans, and power to the 3D printer.

IMG_20160920_213317750

Aforementioned lights mounted.

IMG_20160920_213354105_HDR

Tadaaaaa!

IMG_20160921_201330540

Another look inside before I completely wrap up the wiring.

IMG_20160926_205552052

Finished backend

IMG_20160926_205808162_HDR

Finished inside.

After a year of limited use I started heavily focusing on my 540i infotainment project and my use of the printer ramped up. After the z-axis nut that's embedded in the left x-axis end stripped out I decided to knock out a batch of upgrades:

#1 - Z-axis 8mm Lead Screw upgrade

     a.  New ABS 3D Printed X axis ends

     b.  8mm x 300mm Lead Screws

     c.  T8 anti-backlash guides

     d.  5mm to 8mm flexible couplings

     e.  Redesigned X-axis endstop

#2 - Autoleveling

     a. BLtouch Classic

     b. BLtouch mount

     c. RAMPS 1.6 board (not necessary but my v1.4 board had a melting power connector)

     d. Marlin 1.1.8 (latest at time of edit)(also not necessary but nice to do if you're already going to be doing firmware edits for   

         autoleveling).

#3 - 500W AC Heated bed

     a.  Keenovo 110VAC 500watt 200x200mm silicone heater

     b.  Watlow DIN-A-MITE DB10-24C0-S000 (industrial grade SSR that can be had for ~$60 used on eBay).

There have only been two notable difficulties with the upgrades.

#1 - Getting the printed parts made on a broken / limping printer

#2 - Re-squaring the printer

I'm still working on #2, as my x-axis still isn't 100% square to the y-axis. I'm also still in the process of getting the heated bed changed out. Stay tuned for pictures :D

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now